[dba-Tech] Avg Anti-Virus

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Oct 1 12:31:22 CDT 2007

> I don't think a zip of a 68 BYTE file would make that much difference on
dialup :)

Just a courtesy thing people used to do (I suppose it may actually have been
a BBS thing too - am I aging myself here?) It does seem to have fallen out
of favor though. In that vein of thought - its hard to realize how bad flash
sites are until you work on someone's dialup and run into one! But I
digress...

>If you read the page, it's actually for systems that catch it too quickly.
So they zipped it up. If your AV scanner scans zips, then it should find
eicar in the zip too.

That page is a lot of reading for me ;o)

After you mentioned it I tried to download the .zip file and of course
couldn't. They have the eicarcom2.zip so you can download it. That is,
unless you have your AV scanning archives more than one level deep. IIRC
NAV-Corp. Ed. allows for scanning archive files 3 levels deep. My CA-AV
actually doesn't do this and I investigated why. They're help file on the
issue: They cannot infect your computer unless they are opened - which be
prevented by the real time scanner. Different takes on the issue I guess.
More overhead in one (which IIRC by default isn't turned on anyway) and the
assumption by the other that their real time AV scanner will always be
running (which of course it should - except some install packages actually
tell people to temporarily turn it off! And BTW CA-AV does have a snooze
feature built right into the task tray icon.

Thoughts?