[dba-Tech] Avg Anti-Virus

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 13:11:20 CDT 2007

On 10/1/07, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> > I don't think a zip of a 68 BYTE file would make that much difference on
> dialup :)
>
> Just a courtesy thing people used to do (I suppose it may actually have been

I know. I'd prefer if things were zipped more than they are. Well at
least on the Windows side. Anything I do with Linux is all gzipped,
which is wonderful.

> a BBS thing too - am I aging myself here?) It does seem to have fallen out

No, you're not. I actually ran a BBS when I was in High School. WAY
WAY WAY TOO many years ago :) So I guess I'm aging myself as well.

> of favor though. In that vein of thought - its hard to realize how bad flash
> sites are until you work on someone's dialup and run into one! But I
> digress...

Hell, you don't even need to be on dial up to see how painful they
are. Try it with a wireless connection that drops when the main chip
gets too hot and you're in the middle of a flash site. A few (dozen)
expletives escape :)

> That page is a lot of reading for me ;o)

I know, not enough pictures, eh? :)

> After you mentioned it I tried to download the .zip file and of course
> couldn't. They have the eicarcom2.zip so you can download it. That is,

You shouldn't have to download it, unless you want to check the
functioning of your realtime scanner. Just copy and paste the 68
charaters into a text file.

> unless you have your AV scanning archives more than one level deep. IIRC
> NAV-Corp. Ed. allows for scanning archive files 3 levels deep. My CA-AV
> actually doesn't do this and I investigated why. They're help file on the
> issue: They cannot infect your computer unless they are opened - which be
> prevented by the real time scanner. Different takes on the issue I guess.
> More overhead in one (which IIRC by default isn't turned on anyway) and the
> assumption by the other that their real time AV scanner will always be
> running (which of course it should - except some install packages actually
> tell people to temporarily turn it off! And BTW CA-AV does have a snooze
> feature built right into the task tray icon.

But, unfortunately, it can be locked so that you can't disable it,
even temporarily. At least with V8. That's what they've done here and
it can be a real PITA sometimes. Especially with Pest Patrol running.
it considers VNC spyware and won't let it run unless I kill the
service manually and then I have to restart it once I'm done with VNC.
Royal PITA.

> Thoughts?

I'm trying not to think these days. It hurts too much :)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"