[dba-Tech] Combining a query with a report

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:09:18 CDT 2007

This one is puzzling me more than a little. The user wants to be able to
impose a filter on a form. I explained to her how to use "Filter by Form"
and she's pretty sharp so she picked up on it very quickly. But now the
question is, how to pipe the current filter into a report. I had hoped that
Access would take the values in "Filter By Form" and write them into the
"Filter" property of the form, but apparently this is not the case. The
information is undoubtedly somewhere, even if only in Access's memory. The
question is, how to obtain it. Once I figure that out, then I can capture it
and pass the string as the WhereCondition to the report. The columns on said
report won't change, but the Filter conditions may vary widely. Now that
said user understands "Filter By Form", we're most of the way there, but she
wants totals on various columns, so the report can handle part if I can
figure out how to feed the current filter into it.

Anyone got any ideas on this?

TIA,
Arthur