[dba-Tech] Avg Anti-Virus

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 19:13:56 CDT 2007

On 9/30/07, John Bartow <john at winhaven.net> wrote:
> Susan,
> I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall. It just isn't worth not having it
> running correctly. In case you need to re-download it:
> http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-products/us/frt/0?prd=aff

I wouldn't uninstall and reinstall just yet.

Try seeing if it will catch the eicar "virus". Have a look at
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm to create your own eicar
virus file, or download it prebuilt.

The eicar virus is easy to create. It's 68 acsii characters that is
the standard test virus to use to make sure your AV is functioning.

Just copy and paste this:
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
into a plain text file as one line, no line breaks and save it as eicar.com.

This is a real executable file once saved.

All it does is print:
EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!
to a DOS box, but it's the standard test virus.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"