[dba-Tech] Operating system not found

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 16:18:10 CDT 2008

Hi Gustav,

Ah yes, life was simpler then. If you had two floppy drives you were
happy because you could have the program disk in one and a data disk
in the second. Or maybe keep the Dos boot disk in one and put a
combined program and data disk in the second 360K 5.25 floppy. I
remember when I got my first hard drive on my home system. I was
extremely reluctant to give up EITHER of my floppy drives to make room
for that hard drive. I originally got a hardrive that was mounted on a
full width expansion card so I could keep both floppies. I had nothing
but problems with that hard drive on a card though and eventually
dumped it for a regular drive. I remember backing up and restoring
that problem drive on floppies. Took 3 boxes of 360K floppies. Took
several hours of switching them in and out. Then to do a low level
format I had to go into DEBUG and do a function to kick it off from
the controller someplace. So that part wasn't simpler I guess.

But once I got over that I did learn to live with a hard drive instead
of that second floppy. I remember something called a Tallgrass hard
drive I think it was that we had at work. An External drive. Maybe 5Mb
or possibly 10 MB. It had a tape drive built into the external drive
controller too as I recall. My recollection is that the original IBM
XT we had cost something like $5000 and that Tallgrass was another
$5000. So prices have come down a little too.

GK