[dba-Tech] modem/router

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Apr 14 17:41:22 CDT 2008

Hi Susan,
There used to be routers that could dial a regular telephone modem. They
were generally used for back up internet connections if the broadband was
down, so that remote calls could be made into it, and were more expensive. I
haven't worked with that kind of setup for a numbers of years now though.

I think the common way to do modem sharing in a home network would be to set
one Windows PC (or server), with telephone modem connected, as the Internet
Connection Sharing (ICS) machine and the rest set to go through it.

The ICS would then dial out any time any of the PCs needed an Internet
connection.

I've never done it but I don't see why it wouldn't work with a wireless
router. The ICS shouldn't really know that the PC requesting the connection
is wireless or not. The wireless protocols are all faster than the dial-up
so there shouldn't be any lag time. This is a lot of speculation so if
anyone responds with first hand knowledge take it :o)

HTH
John B.