[dba-Tech] Nevermind Fw: Future of traditional Windows

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:13:34 CDT 2008

I like Vista so I'm one. If I can't find something I use the HELP
function I think it is and the search and it finds it every time and
quick. But I'm only running it on one of 7 systems I use regularly. I
did buy another copy for a second machine but have yet to load it onto
it. The delay is just due to lack of time though.

The added security things do get irritating sometimes when it askes me
if I want to let an installation program run. But I haven't tried to
turn them off either, preferring the safety net it is providing. Other
than the start button being ROUND instead of rectangular and the
Control Panel functions being switched around I don't really notice
much of a difference between Vista and Xp to tell the truth. I switch
between several systems and don't have to do stuff differently on the
Vista box. So I am really kind of mystifyed at what people are not
liking so much. I do remember having similar feelings when I was first
getting that system going though I guess. Either I've gotten used to
the irritations or they were things that only applied during the
initial set up.

There is one thing that does tick me off - it won't let me open my
DOCUMENTS folder directly trough Windows Explorer. I have to go
through the "Documents" shortcut at the top of the screen or it gives
me a "not authorized" message. Now I have been beaten into submission
on it though and I just do that right off the bat. I had some issues
with IE7 - the Memory Leak that people talk about being the biggest.
So now I use Firefox for some things. Still use IE for other sites
where the leak doesn't reach out and bite me though.

I guess it's not so much that I LIKE it so much. I DON'T DISLIKE it.
It's an Operating System. I don't really feel that strongly about it
one way or the other. It is what it is and I just deal with it. It is
supposed to manage TV Recording better than XP is why I am planning to
update the second system to it. I don't have any plans to update any
of the others though.

GK