[dba-Tech] Wireless Terminology Question

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 10:27:05 CDT 2008

>From the GLOSSARY in the LEARNING CENTER on the Linksys website
http://www.linksys.com

Access Point - A device that allows wireless-equipped computers and
other devices to communicate with a wired network. Also used to expand
the range of a wireless network.

Router - A networking device that connects multiple networks together,
such as a local network and the Internet.

So I beleive a Wireless Router essentially is a combination of an
Access Point and a Router, providing access for wireless devices and
doing the routing of network packets between both wired and wireless
devices. Most of the Wireless Routers also provide firewall
capabilities and do some other network stuff like assigning the IP
addresses and such. .

GK