[dba-Tech] IE Pop-up Blocker disabled

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Aug 19 17:15:46 CDT 2008

Susan:
I googled this in regards to your problem:

"It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make.  A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled.  Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm."

Last I knew you didn't have any of these installed but just in case the
registry changes are being blocked I suggest this: Shutdown and restart and
once it gets past the intial black screen on boot-up press the F8 key. Boot
into "Safe Mode with Networking" and try to turn it on. If you can restart
again and check if it stuck.