[dba-Tech] WXP SP3

Jon Tydda jon at tydda.plus.com
Wed Aug 20 08:53:58 CDT 2008

Aside from including all the previous updates since SP2, there's some new
functionality in it... It's got some of the new Group Policy Objects that
Vista uses, for use on a domain (probably won't worry you though), as well
as some network security toys.

There is a way around the issue with AMD chips on HP PCs, but I can't
remember it off the top of my head. I think it was because HP use one image
regardless of the processor installed, and the Intel chips need one
particular file. If this file is present, SP3 thinks that you've got an
Intel chip, and does something funky, and you can't boot back into Windows
after installation. At least, that was the case when it first came out,
hopefully theyv'e fixed that now... Worth checking out first though!

Jon