[dba-Tech] Always On Notebook

Lembit Soobik lembit.dbamail at t-online.de
Tue Aug 26 10:45:39 CDT 2008

Helmut,
I do have a different opinion based on my experience and MTBF data.

- as for the HDs, you can expect 3 to 5 years with 24/7 usage. then they
start to fail.
your friend may just have been lucky. And I believe today its the bearings
that fail first, provided you have your power filtered.

- Integrated Circuits can fail among others for electromigration, i.e.,
Aluminum atoms are transported by current flow, which decreases the width of
the conductor until it fails (open). Electromigration increases with current
and temperature. Since laptops usually get pretty warm, this is a critical
point.

- cooling fans in my experience fail after 3 to 4 years when run under 24/7
conditions.

I did run my PCs (desktop) 24/7 and did have failures every 3 to 4 years.
Now I turn them off over night and have no failures since about 6 years.

Lembit