[dba-Tech] Bootable CD for WinXP?

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Thu Aug 28 14:57:31 CDT 2008

Helmut,

Vielen Dank!  I am downloading the Ultimate Boot CD now.

You are not going to believe what I found out, though.  The problem of
Gateway freezing during a system recovery turns out to be a know
difficulty with the Intel SpeedStep.  This must be disabled in the BIOS
before a successful system recovery can be accomplished.  Here are the
step-by-step instructions from Gateway:
1. Turn on the computer and begin pressing the F2 key in one-second
intervals. If you perform this step correctly, you see the BIOS Setup
Utility menu. If Windows loads normally, repeat this step.
2. In the BIOS Setup Utility, press the RIGHT ARROW key to select the
Advanced menu.
3. On the Advanced menu, change the Intel SpeedStep setting from Enabled
to Disabled.
4. Press the RIGHT ARROW key to select the Exit menu.
5. On the Exit menu, select Save Changes and Exit
6. Restart the computer and run System Restore.
7. After completing the recovery, download and install the Critical
Update for Windows XP (KB885626) package from the Microsoft Web site.
8. Once the KB885626 package is installed, re-enable Intel SpeedStep in
the BIOS Setup Utility.

Once I disabled SpeedStep, I was able to carry out the complete system
recovery, putting the little computer back to its fresh-from-the-factory
status.  Is this not amazing?

Furthermore, I believe I now know what really happened.  My guess is
that when the owner's sister booted the computer and saw the message
"Press F11 for system recovery" which is presented for a couple of
seconds, she did.  She pressed F11, thinking she was being instructed
to, not recognizing the message as meaning "if you need to run system
recovery press F11."  Then, because of the SpeedStep issue, which hangs
the computer during setup, from then on the computer didn't work.  If I
had known about this SpeedStep issue, my job would have been a great
deal easier and shorter.  Disable SpeedStep in the BIOS, then run System
Recovery.  Done!  Thought I would share my findings with all my colleagues.

Thanks again to both you and Fred who responded,
Tina