[dba-Tech] Heads up

Tydda Jon - Slough jon.tydda at lonza.com
Mon Dec 1 06:02:02 CST 2008

I've been looking at the EPA EZ GPO (a Group Policy Object written for
the US EPA to enable power savings on XP/2000 PCs
(<http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_power_mgt_ez_gpo>))
, and I've finally got it working. But I've just found out that the
updated Vista Client Policies for XP include this functionality and
more. With these tools in place, you can tell lots of PCs to turn off
their monitors after a set period of inactivity, and even to hibernate
or standby after a longer time, should you wish. This will obviously
save money and energy, and I thought I'd let you all know about it, so
you can claim brownie points from your respective bosses when you
suggest it.

Any donations can be made to my bank account :-P

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943729>

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=42e30e3f-6f01-
4610-9d6e-f6e0fb7a0790&DisplayLang=en>

Jon

Jon Tydda MCP
IT Support Analyst

Lonza Biologics PLC
228 Bath Road
Slough
Berkshire
SL1 4DX
UK

Registered Number: 2742471

Tel:  +44 (0) 1753 777077
Fax: +44 (0) 1753 777001
mailto:jon.tydda at lonza.com
http://www.lonza.com

This communication and its attachments, if any, may contain confidential and privileged information the use of
which by other persons or entities than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this transmission
in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your system.