[dba-Tech] tracing origination of E-mails

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Fri Dec 5 23:12:45 CST 2008

Possibly.

It depends on how the  originator(s) are set up - if they are using an in-house mail server
and/or a router, you may only be able to track it back to the first point at which they hit the
internet. Here's the first off your headers:

	by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id 5sm1562508ywl.15.2008.12.05.19.12.05
	(version=SSLv3 cipher=RC4-MD5); Fri, 05 Dec 2008 19:12:06 -0800 (PST)

199.1.134.47 has been assigned to either your router or your PC by fewpb.net (depending on
exactly how you connect to the internet.

If the messages in question  are coming through a corporate mail server, they may come
from different machines on the same Intranet without you being able to tell.  A lot depends on
what the server is.

Email me off-list with further details if you want more assistance with this.

--
Stuart