[dba-Tech] hd partition utility

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Feb 11 19:13:42 CST 2008

Just a note, probably late in this tread but let me be so bold as to
recommend a piece of software for doing system image backups.

Just recently, used it to restore 200GB of data... do not ask who long it
took but it worked flawlessly. It can backup and restore across, networks,
portable drives and even IP addresses. It can use a couple of hot imaging
strategies like Volume locking and Shadow services. It can split backups
into DVDs, CDs or even smaller drives. It also uses various level of
compression. As well as a data file an XML file is created and the XML file
can be used to specify whether all the data or specific data is recovered
from the image.

I use the package in conjunction with the BartPE disk. This allows me to go
to various client sites, boot up from DVD and image the current drive to
anywhere on the network.

Though the package is not as sophisticated as some, the price is right and
it is sledge hammer simple.

You can see it at http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

The one feature that it does not have is the ability to re-partition a drive
to a larger size.

The app 'Acronis True Image' looks like a great package. Its only failing
would be not having SID capabilities would when doing a maulticast rollout.