[dba-Tech] A few questions about media files

Erwin Craps - IT Helps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.eu
Fri Feb 15 10:03:41 CST 2008

It's not recommended to convert video to another format, it's very time
consuming and you will loose quality because you convert from one lossy
compression to another. But of course it depends on your personal needs
and quality standards.

A Gif file is a 256 color (maximum) color picture.
A animated GIF is a sequence of GIF pictures, each picture (frame) has a
specific time to show.
So U you have for example 3 frames; Frame 1 displays 0.5 seconds, frame
2 shows 1 second and frame 3 show 0.1 second and it starts over again.
This technique is very efficient for animated pictures and low bandwith.
A lot of internet banners are in animated GIF.
Another advantage is that the background color can be transparent so it
blends in a website.

AVI and MPG/MPG are video formats having a constant frame rate per
second. For internet usually 15 frames a second. DV and DVD has 25
frames a seconds, PAL 29,97 frames (or something) seconds, NTSC 30 I
believe.

AVI and MPG/MPEG these files can be compressed with different codecs. So
its possible that one MPG files plays normaly, another does not show any
image or sound because your computer does not have the appropriate
codec.

Codec = coder/decoder

Erwin