[dba-Tech] Full-Time v. Contract

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:47:22 CST 2008

I've switched back and forth a couple times now. I extend out the
numbers to and annual basis. Use your last year contracting actuals if
you have that. Then factor in how much you currently are paying for
the dental etc if you have them and then you have a better comparison
to what the "real job" will be verses your contracting wages.

And don't think that just because you have a regular full time job you
have to quit all your contracting work either....as long as it's not a
conflict of interest and it's OK with your employer you might want to
keep some of your contracting clients for on the side work.

My biggest problem with the switch was when i went from employee to
contractor I never wanted to take any time off at first because i
always was thinking about how much it was costing me to not be billing
for those hours. Then when I went back to a salary position I missed
the freedom of being able to take as much time off as I wanted.. The
feeling of only having two weeks vacation to start was kind of a
constricting one.

Good luck with your decision.

GK