[dba-Tech] Metadata

Rocky Smolin at Beach Access Software rockysmolin at bchacc.com
Fri Jul 25 12:29:04 CDT 2008

Dear List:

I have a client who writes:

I have a prospect who is looking for software so they can setup an digital
archiving system for digital video files. It's thus Digital Audio+Video. The
original material is recorded on Sony XDCAM format. This digital process
also generates so-called 'proxi-files', which are sort of a low-res
duplicate of the original material. Inside those Proxi-files, there is
metadata (time of recording, scenes, etc..). Now my prospect is looking for
software which will allow them to perform searches, and pre-visualize the
results on a PC. Think they also want to be able, once the search complete,
to record the material on something (tbd). Thus the original files needs to
reside on a server, as the Proxy-files. I was told there are some SDK's that
would exist at companies like opencubetech.com or mogsolutions.  It would
involve getting the metadata out of the so-called MXF files. Is this
something you would be familiar with, or could do, or could look out if over
there in the US, you would know or find a company who would have or be able
to develop such software?

Does anybody know anything about this or have any experience?  I suppose I'd
be looking for some way to extract the metadata from the files and store it
in an mdb.  Maybe Access isn't the best platform?

TIA

Rocky Smolin

Beach Access Software

858-259-4334