[dba-Tech] Spammers

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Jun 2 08:09:38 CDT 2008

A friend of mine is receiving "not received" or "rejected"
emails by the hundreds per week.  I thought her computer was
probably hijacked and had her bring it over.  After running
all of my scans I am seeing nothing.

She mentioned that it was her "business email address", and
that the cable company had "given her a new password".  With
her computer in hand, I opened Outlook express and see just
a few personal emails, and no sign of infections etc.

I am now thinking that perhaps someone has hijacked her
email account assigned by the cable company, and that
perhaps she uses through a browser (web based email).  If
that is the case, then her computer is not sending these
emails, which certainly correlates with what I am seeing on
her physical machine.

So is it possible for spammers to hijack a browser based
email and send spam through that without infecting the PC of
the owner?