[dba-Tech] DB/OS market statistics

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 13:37:00 CDT 2008

Several things puzzle me about these graphs and their market-reflections. I
would have thought, for example, that Linux and Unix were interchangeable,
that anyone good at Linux could apply for a Unix gig and vice-versa. But
compare the gaps. Similarly, there are abundant code-translators that will
switch VB.NET to C#. In fact, if you look at the two languages as in the
tutorials supplied by MS, they are remarkably similar and it's no surprise
that a program could go through and make the changes from one language to
the other. Find the line-terminators and substitute semi-colons; flip
declarations around slightly and lose the "Dim" word; wrap blocks in curly
braces; etc. How hard is that?

Admittedly some constructs are trickier, but it doesn't take very long
looking at the step-by-step tutorial code to see the similarities. And yet
the marketplace feels a greater lack of supply for C# than VB.NET, and also
pays about $20 an hour more for C# too, judging by my local marketplace.
This goes to prove, methinks, that elitism too has inheritance. C# is for
"serious" programmers; VB for -- hmm, what's the opposite of serious?
Amateur? Trivial? Casual? Pop? Anyway, you get my drift.

Arthur