[dba-Tech] VM for different versions of Access

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 27 11:09:08 CDT 2008

Tina,

The first question is why the thumb drive?  They are small and slow.  IIWM,
I would do it on a normal external disk.  Remember that you need not only
office but Windows itself.  Plus you likely want other apps that you use all
the time such as 3DFTP or UltraEdit or FireFox.

Once you have the VM created and all set up with these "also gotta haves",
then copy the VM and install Office97 on one copy, Office 2K on another
copy, Office 2K3 on another copy etc.  They will be small but still probably
at least 10 gigs or so each.  Having done that, buy a small laptop hard
drive and an external USB driven container to put it in.  Place all the VMs
on that and carry that around in your briefcase or laptop case.

As for whether the VMs will run over a usb, AFAIK they will.  The HOST
machine has to have the SERVER software installed to run it however.  This
is another reason to bring along your laptop.  Install the server software
on that and then just plug in the disk to your laptop and go. You can of
course also place the server install package on the disk along with the VMs
but then you have to do the VM server software install on any machine that
you want to run the VMs on.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting