[dba-Tech] VM for different versions of Access

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Mar 27 14:29:17 CDT 2008

You know what, I do not use the Microsoft VM stuff.  There are a couple of
reasons, the MS VMs can't see USB ports apparently, and also the disks that
you can create and add to the VM are not as flexible from the way I read it.
So basically I use the VMWare server.  It loads on top of my Windows 2003
Server OS and can run several different VMs at the same time.  It can also
operate in native 64 bit mode and one of my Windows 2003 servers is running
the x64 version.

I can't help you at all with the MS version of VMs.  You don't have to use
them though.  In fact the same VM that runs on a Linux VM Server machine can
be moved to and run on the VMWare server software running on top of a
Windows OS, or so I understand.  One of the VERY cool things about the
VMWare stuff.  The Windows VMs can only run on Windows host OSes.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting