[dba-Tech] How to watch what the computer is sending out

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Mar 29 13:23:26 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I really don't like automatic updates, for a number of reasons, my own
paranoia being one.  But, also, when the computer takes off to go see if
there's a new version of Java, or Windows, or a new driver for the
mouse, or whatever, it often causes other running processes to delay -
like recognizing my typing keystrokes, for instance - which is very
frustrating.  So, for the most part, I turn them off and choose my own
time to go look for updates.

Not all my automatic stuff is off, though - heck, you have to have some
level of automatic update on in order to access Windows Update when you
want to - so I have it set to notify me but not download.  Other stuff
is still making automatic trips out and about the Internet, and I don't
know who or what it is.  How do I look to see which of my programs and
devices is calling home?

Thanks for teaching me.
Tina