[dba-Tech] [dba-SQLServer] System not responding for seconds at a time

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 1 08:30:44 CDT 2008

Well... it appears that I have fixed the issue.  After Googling "slow
server response time" or something similar I ran across references to a
"Maximum Memory" property for SQL Server.  I finally found that and it
was set to something insane like 200000000 MEGABYTES (several petabytes
of server memory).  While I can dream of such a machine, it ain't
happening here!

I adjusted the Maximum Memory down to 2 gigs and the "amount available"
in Task Manager Performance tab popped up to 4 gigs.  Having done that,
and after perhaps 30 seconds, suddenly my machine is responding in a
normal way.  I am now adjusting that number to "leave" perhaps 2 gigs
available to applications other than SQL Server.  I probably don't even
need 2 gigs but it is critical that I don't end up unable to do anything
on that machine.