[dba-Tech] Dual Display and a KVM switch

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 30 15:58:05 CDT 2008

Is anyone using a dual monitor AND using the monitor on a
KVM switch to handle other machines?

I have a four port KVM.  At least two of the ports are used
regularly for my two SQL Server machines.  I decided to try
hooking the new flat panel up to the KVM and let it be the
monitor for not only my laptop but the servers as well.

The software on the laptop doesn't like the monitor going
away when I switch the KVM to the server.  It appears that
it senses a lower resolution monitor (or a missing monitor?)
on the second port when the switch goes off to the other
ports.  Or something.

In any event the software switches the applications that
were out on the external monitor back to the built-in
display.  Which makes sense however it would be nice if I
could tell it not to do so.  I often just need to switch
away for a minute to check a process or something.

I may end up trying something like Hamachi teamed with
Remote Desktop and just remote desktop in to the servers for
routine usage, leaving the KVM hooked up but never switching
it away from my laptop unless I need to do a physical
maintenance (new OS install etc).