[dba-Tech] Odd Outlook behavior

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Tue Apr 21 10:04:40 CDT 2009

Hi Andy,
Do you have any Outlook add-ins installed (like auto attachment compression
programs, spam filters, search programs, anti-virus)?

I have seen quite a few memory related issues lately caused by add-ins.

Recently, while testing desktop search apps, Google Desktop Search would
cause my Outlook 2007 to use so much memory that it would lock up my XP
machine with 2 GBs of RAM, no other applications running. I usually leave my
PC running overnight so I don't have to wait 5-10 minutes for all the
overnight email to come in. This is when it would happen. Having to reboot,
obviously, made that a bad idea. Turning of the background indexer for
Google DS cleared up the issue but then nothing new gets indexed so it
doesn't find anything except the items that were previously indexed. Catch
22?