[dba-Tech] Oracle to Buy Sun

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 13:00:57 CDT 2009

MySQL IMO is a small-potatoes acquisition in this buyout. I don't think that
Scott and Larry would dare disturb the waters, but to focus on MySQL misses
the larger point big-time, and indicates myopic vision. This acquisition is
about obtaining a delivery mechanism that spans hardware and OS and
middleware and so on. Sparc is the definitive Linux/Solaris platform. Atop
that is all the Oracle middleware (all in Java), and atop that are all the
Oracle Apps. So this creates a company that can deliver, as no one else can,
a stack that encompasses hardware, middleware and software. Nobody else in
the playground can offer this end-to-end solution. Granted, it will take
Oracle a few months to actualize this, but the path is clear. And in this
pond, MySQL is an interesting tidbit but ultimately small potatoes. You
don't buy Sun to get MySQL, you buy Sun for Sparc and Solaris and Linux
support and so on. MySQL, much as I love it, is a revenue generator in terms
of the support contracts and a migration path to serious database software
such as Trusted Oracle (the sort of thing that banks require).

My $.02.

A.