[dba-Tech] Hub problem

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Dec 30 02:12:02 CST 2009

Hi Lambert

I think this is not seen often. Modern DHCP servers like those in most routers maintain an ARP table of MAC addresses and their lastly assigned IP addresses and assign these as long as the DHCP pool is larger than workstations trying to obtain an address.

/gustav

>>> Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com 29-12-2009 22:00 >>>

The main advantage of manually assigning IP addresses that I see is a reduction in IP Address clashes. This is usually caused by someone hibernating (or suspending) a computer. While that computer is off-line, if a new computer hooks up it will ask for an IP address, and it may very well be given the same IP address as the hibernated machine. When that machine wakes up both users will start to get IP address conflicts.