[dba-Tech] Preferred backup method?

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 07:53:42 CST 2009

I am not involved with backing up any of our servers here at work so
that is why I didn't respond earlier. I back up my individual work at
work in several ways, I copy to my second system, I copy to external
usb hard drives, I copy to several network drives, I copy to CD and or
DVDs. Now do I do this often enough? Probably not. I do have a
mirrored drive in my main system at work too. I hate it as it's slower
than molasses compared to the 10,000 RPM SCSI drive I had in my
previous system - until it died.

At home I use a WINDOWS HOME SERVER system to back up every system
every night. Plus I do a backup to external USB drive of my most
important files on my main system automatically once a week I think it
is.

I love the Windows Home Server system. Unfortunately IT has no backup,
but as long as I don't lose both that server and any of my client
systems I guess I'm OK.