[dba-Tech] finger readers

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 12:29:43 CST 2009

Now that we have the technology to secure finger readers with laptops, I'm
wondering how quickly this technology will spread? I'm thinking about
writing a short blog entry on the topic and I'm interested in your thoughts
on the subject.

Right now, the one question that I haven't found an answer to yet is this --
these readers might enhance security to a network via a laptop or pc, but
we'll still have to deal with traditional hackers, right? I'm a little
confused because it seems like apples and oranges to me -- kind of like the
warnings on birth control pills:  "Caution, this product doesn't stop the
spread of HIV or STD's" -- um... duh... Am I missing something here -- these
readers don't really have the potential for comprehensive protection, right?

But, more curious about just a general discussion on the trend -- something
good or something that will be quickly replaced by newer and better. I
haven't worked with them myself, but I'm using them at the library. :) I
thought the scanners were cool, now this! :) I didn't expect them at the
library.

Susan H.