[dba-Tech] Disappearing BIOS setting

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 18 21:45:29 CST 2009

Has anyone heard of a scenario where the BIOS has disappeared of been lost
completely on a computer?

The company that fixed this computer has been claiming that someone was
trying to Flash the BIOS, inadvertently removed it. This is definitely not
the case with the client. They do not even know what the system BIOS is let
alone how to tamper with it.

Upon further research it was discovered that some of the later versions of
the ASUS quad-core motherboards/BIOS are not compatible with Vista as
Microsoft's latest attempts to block access to the hardware will cause the
BIOS to be cleared at various intervals (upon reboot for example). Some
people are blaming Vista while others are blaming ASUS but the fact is the
ASUS hardware was certified to run Vista.

I understand that ASUS has released a new BIOS (BIOS upgrade 1707) that will
resolve the problem but there still seems to be issues... so we shall see.

Just a heads up...