[dba-Tech] Preferred backup method?

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Mon Feb 23 12:48:30 CST 2009

Steve,
I don't image to usb drives with the notion that it will be able to step in
for a failed SATA drive. I'm imaging to another SATA drive. I use an
external USB drive for standard file backups.

I did image my RAID 5 disk to a single drive and booted from it - it worked
like a charm.

And I did mean RAID 1 - strictly for speed.

The imaging of the RAID 1 drive(s) to a single drive (formerly part of the
RAID 5) would be sufficient to recover from in the event of a failure.
But this scenario wouldn't work if the drives completely failed in the
middle of work, hmmm... I'll have to rethink this. Maybe I should scheduled
an hourly, simple file backup for current projects and email files.

Just stepping outside of the box...

... but sometimes the box is there for a good reason.