[dba-Tech] What utilities can't you live without?

Fred Hooper fahooper at trapo.com
Sat Jan 17 16:00:19 CST 2009

EZ Macros (http://www.americansys.com/ezmacros.htm) records key strokes and
(optionally) mouse moves and attaches them to a hot key (editable). It turns
out that many of the things I have to do with Cognos and data sometimes mean
repeating the same sequence of keystrokes for each element. This saves me
time and avoids mistakes. I tried many of its competitors and like it best.

JungleDisk (www.jungledisk.com) is storage in the Amazon's cloud. It's fully
encrypted (done properly, too) both in transit and storage and the price is
reasonable.

IronKey (www.ironkey.com) is a hardware-encrypted USB key. (10 failed tries
and it becomes a small, expensive doorstop. It's nice because limiting the
tries means I don't have to have a complex password - it holds those for
me). I have the 2GB version, which is overkill for me as one of the
applications on it is JungleDisk and I could keep everything there.
Generally it's half full with utilities, applications and records of my
current clients.

I guess I'd add KeePass
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=95013) which I'm
using until IronKey releases their new software for password storage. The
new software will hold the passwords in an area that can't be seen by
monitoring programs. (RoboForm is a good alternative to KeePass.)

The last three demonstrate some of the effects of my paranoia, but I *don't*
want to explain to one of my clients how their information got out. Also, I
find it fun to do things this way.

Fred