[dba-Tech] Performance of languages

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Jun 1 20:54:21 CDT 2009

Hi All:

I was hunting around for optimizers and ran across this site:
http://gmarceau.qc.ca/blog/2009/05/speed-size-and-dependability-of.html

The fellow who compiled the site is brilliant. He tested over 70 programming
language for their performance. Most of the languages I have never heard of
but the main core is represented.

A few surprises like Ruby which is probably one of slowest (actually it is
the slowest performer)... even slower than JavaScript and one of the star
performers is FreeBasic. It appears that functionality has little to do with
performance and more to do with the quality of the compiler.

If JavaScript would just settle long enough and MS would quit trying to run
independently from every other implementation, a real compiler could be
created.

Enjoy.