[dba-Tech] Exchange was RE: Outlook PST troubles

Rusty Hammond rustykh at yahoo.com
Fri May 22 14:59:17 CDT 2009

Exchange is an e-mail server whereas Outlook is an e-mail client.  If you are working from home or have just one or two computers at your office, then you normally use Outlook to download your e-mail directly from your ISP via a POP3 connection.

In a business network environment, you can still use Outlook as your e-mail client, but it connects to your local network Exchange server.  The Exchange server has a mailbox setup for all of your local network users and can pass messages back and forth between the mailboxes.  The Outlook clients connect to their assigned mailbox on the Exchange server.

In the case of Small Business Server, Exchange can also download internet e-mail from an ISP to a local mailbox.

In your case I'm guessing you wouldn't have a need for an Exchange server.

Does that help?