[dba-Tech] Some of the cool features with Windows7

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Wed May 27 11:56:14 CDT 2009

No matter how many times I look it up I don't remember what it stands for.
Essentially it's a media device sharing standard. For instance I use Nero's
MediaHome on my XP machine because Windows Media Player 11 does not support
DLNA. My Sony Bravia is on my network and I can connect to my media files
via Nero MediaHome. I can show all of our photos on the big screen and play
my music via my Bravia. I could also connect to this with any other DLNA
equipment such as audio gear and portable devices. Of course MediaHome takes
some resources that wouldn't have to be used if Windows XP supported DLNA.

It's similar to what Mac claims their media and devices can do but its and
industry standard not a proprietary one.

WMP, WinAmp nor iTunes support DLNA. But there are some plugins for WinAmp
and WMP that claim to allow for this. I just can't seem to make them work
correctly. That is why I'm hyped about Windows 7 - it actually solves a
problem for me :o)