[dba-Tech] Junk in the Registry

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun May 31 19:52:58 CDT 2009

The truth is you do not. This removal process can not be fully automated; it
can, but if you are not willing to accept the result... (I would first
backup the registry before going on attack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 ;-))

It may be better to go through a bit of the list yourself. The ActiveXHelper
shows you the names of the object and even their links so from there it
might be enough information to allow you to make the decision on whether to
delete or not delete.

If you do not recognize the entry scan it on the web and it will tell where
the product came from and what it relates to.

This is a wonderful way to waste away an afternoon... Settings; that is
another gambit. If you want to know more try Hijack This:
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

A number of years ago when I did this type of work for a living, I found
Symantecs System Works
(http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/docid/2001101612274407) was an
excellent Registry cleanup and fixing product. (I have seen it for sale at
as little as $29.00). It would allow you to tag any of the changes off or on
before cleanup. It was very thorough, doing would do multiple passes.