[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] LCD vs Plasma

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:23:06 CDT 2009

My understanding is that LCD does better in rooms that have other
light sources like windows. Plasma does better in darker spaces.
Plasma screens are generally shinier so they have more reflections so
they tend to need darker rooms to minimize those reflections. LCD
tends to be BRIGHTER so it can also handle brighter rooms from that
way too. Plasma is thought to produce better BLACKS than LCD though
which tends to have more dark grey blacks. This information may be
somewhat dated though as I haven't been keeping up with recent
developments in TV technology. I would guess that the gaps have closed
and it's not as big of a deal.

Size may be your determinating factor though. Plasma's are not
afailable in as many sizes as LCD's seem to be. And LCD's are only
available up to about 50" or they get seriously expensive above that
size. If you want 60 or up you might look at DLP rear projection. They
are only about 16 inches deep and you can go up to 73" diagonal.