[dba-Tech] LCD vs Plasma

Bobby Heid bheid at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 14 20:17:39 CDT 2009

Rocky,

I ran up against the shiny issue with the Samsungs, but in each size range
there are different types of screen finishes.  My TV (LN52A530):
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52B530-52-Inch-1080p-Touch/dp/B001U3Y8P4/ref
=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255568591&sr=8-1

has a matte finish on the screen.  I wanted this because I have windows on
the opposite side of the room from the TV.  Supposedly, the matte finish
causes a lessening of the contrast ration.  I do not notice a problem with
shiny bezel.

I had a little bit different experience while looking for TVs.  I originally
was going for a Sony Bravia.  But at Best Buy (and a few other stores), the
Samsungs had a better picture to me.

I do not think that you would go wrong with either one of the Sonys or
Samsungs.  Check them out and decide for yourself.  Just remember that there
are many models for a given size and brand.  One thing to make sure of is
that it has enough inputs (HDMI, component, etc.) for your needs.  I would
also look into the 120Hz over the 60Hz models.  As for the 240Hz, I am not
sure they are worth the extra models.  As for the plasmas, I feel that
generally, they are on the way out.

The thinness of the TV was not important to me as I have the TV in a
built-in area on a stand and can  only view the TV from the front.  The LED
back-lit TVS will give you the thinnest TVs.  But I do not know a whole
bunch about them as I could not see paying the (to me) very high premium for
the LED TVs over the LCS tvs.

I have Time Warner cable and hooking the TV up to the HD cable box has a
beautiful picture that really seems to have a 3d look to it.  I love it!

Bobby