[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] LCD vs Plasma

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 20:50:48 CDT 2009

I know. I do that too. Don't forget Amazon. I like to browse the user
entered reviews. You have to take them womewhat with a dash of salt as
satisfied customers are not as likely to participate in that kind of
thing as dissatisfied ones are, but reading a few of the reviews gives
me comfort. Best Buy has customer entered reviews on their website
too. It's not something I would really base a decision on one way or
the other on it's own, but it's a little more information to move you
off the bubble between "warm and fuzzy" and "this just isn't quite the
one".

In some ways your decision could be considered easier than it would
have been 4 years ago. More brands and models to choose from but more
of them are good too. I don't think you will be going terribly wrong
with ANY of the name brands. Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp.
Pioneer and Hitachi also make TV's. LG, Phillips. Westinghouse. Visio.
Most of the brands have a variety of model lines. They have an entry
level set a middle of the road and a top end with the nosebleed price.
 Really though, when you look at them side by side in the store you
will gravitate towards a couple. The colors will just be more vivid
and the picture will seem to POP at your eyes a bit more than the
others. Hopefully the store hasn't tweaked the picture but I would
have to think that most stores are not going to bother with that since
it would take WORK.

Just go and have a look with the idea that your just there to have a
look and not buy that day. A true shopping trip not a buying trip. See
what you like and what you don't. It's your eyes that count most here.
The rest doesn't really matter. On the other hand, the absolute worst
TV you see in the store is likely going to look ten times better than
your old TV since it will be HD and your current TV isn't.

I'm still amazed watching sports in HD. You can see the individual
blades of grass on the field. And the SOUND. TV has 5.1 sound now.
Don't forget the sound system. ;-) You need all those 6 channels. You
can keep your speakers, but look at getting a receiver and a center
and a couple rear speakers. Center Channel is important, be good to
spend some money there. The rear speakers don't need to be all that
special though. Just look. And listen in this case.

GK

--
Gary Kjos
garykjos at gmail.com