[dba-Tech] FW: Bumblebee decline

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 15:54:31 CDT 2009

According to most of the website research I have done they only use a
nest for one year.

http://www.pestproducts.com/bumble-bees.htm

says this...
"The queen bumble bee comes out of hibernation every spring to find a
new spot to build her nest and start a new colony.  This queen bee was
fertilized the previous season and has managed to live through the
winter months.
The same nesting spot (from previous seasons) are rarely used.  A
suitable place for nesting is usually on the ground, beneath a flat
object.  An old mouse hole or similar hole in the ground is preferred
if it is underneath an old tarp, flat stone or man made objects such
as a deck.  The hole chosen by the queen bee is first padded by pieces
of vegetation such as dry grass or moss."

So I'm hoping that is the case and they will be someplace else next year.

GK