[dba-Tech] Format hard drive and start over

Tina Norris Fields tinanfields at torchlake.com
Sat Oct 31 13:34:16 CDT 2009

Hi John,

SpinRite is running on level 4 - smooth as silk until it reached
cylinder 4,141, head 252.  Here it is laboriously climbing through
sectors - up to sector 41 as I am typing this message.

Perhaps the thing to do is just replace the hard drive.  It is a Western
Digital 60GB drive, identified in Setup as: WD600BB-75CAA0.

I can boot to Windows (it's XP, not XP Pro) and do lots of stuff, but
there's a good chance if I let it sit for a few hours, it will suddenly
not find the hard drive.  Frequently, there is a boot message that the
hard drive is operating outside of normal specs, strike F1 to continue
or F2 for Setup.  Sometimes in that situation, Setup does not see the
hard drive, sometimes it does.  Usually F1 continues the boot sequence,
although occasionally it stops again, this time with a "no keyboard"
message.

What kinds of hard drives do you have lying around, and why are you
willing to part with one?  For how much?

Thanks so much for your response and help.