[dba-Tech] Corrupted Workbook

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:37:56 CDT 2009

I'm writing about recovering corrupted workbook files today. If you have a
technique you'd like to share and I don't already have it, I'll be sure to
credit you with the tip and include contact information, if you'd like.

I've already compiled a lot of methods -- Excel's built-in recovery
features, opening the file in Word or WordPad, change the extension, set
calculation mode to Manual before opening, move the file, Office Tools,
reference corrupted data in new workbook, OpenOffice....

Full recovery isn't necessary -- just extracting data from a corrupted file
may be the best you can get sometimes. Also, if you've used a third-party
product and would like to recommend it, I'll probably list a few of those
too.

Susan H.