[dba-Tech] External hard drive

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Thu Sep 17 09:49:50 CDT 2009

Is this for Backup?

If so, then you don't need a high-powered drive.  I use a WD Green drive -
it's quiet and cool.  As far as disk reliability vs. brand I don't have
enough experience for a recommendation.

I use Ghost 9 for automated backup.  The weekly backup takes about 45
minutes, and daily incremental backups take about 5 minutes.  These are set
to run automatically late in the evening so I don't even notice. (I think
the latest version of Ghost is 14!)

What size?  It depends on how many weekly backups of your C drive you want
to keep.  If you currently have, say, 50 Gb of data on your C drive, and you
want to keep 4 weekly backups of your C drive, then you'll need at least 200
Gb on your backup drive.  However, hard drives are pretty inexpensive so you
can easily afford more than you need.

Good Luck!
Dan