[dba-Tech] VirtualBox Questions

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 20 11:46:53 CDT 2009

Theoretically, 16 exabytes can be supported by a 64 bit hardware... now
reality. Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

It is all so hardware architecture and OS dependent. I believe your Acer has
an internal 52bit bus and an AMD64 chip is 44bit and is therefore limited.
The new Windows 7 64 bit can access up to 196GB of RAM while the Vista can
access up to 128GB of RAM but this depends on the versions.

The new Snow Leopard from Mac is supposed to be a true 64bit OS. I
understand the Ubuntu 9.x, with the Ubuntu server header
(http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-4gb-ram-limitation-solution)
can be set to be able to access 16TB of RAM but this is all again, hardware
dependant.

I have never been able to get more than 4GB of RAM addressable on most
inexpensive 64bit motherboards and that would include Acer (32 or 64). That
is the reason I bought an Asus 64 bit quad core motherboard as it seems to
have no problem accessing 8GB of RAM (the maximum I could afford at the
time).

I am by no means an expert at this but these are my experiences. I have
found that the theoritical limit has nothing to do with the real limit.

HTH more than confuses.