[dba-Tech] FW: Your Blueprint: Optimizing Your Desktop Using VirtualBox

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 06:12:20 CDT 2009

None that I can think of, other than to make sure you've got plenty of space
available to store the VBs. Another consideration is 32- v. 64-bit. My HP
Pavilion a1450n has an AMD duo core and I run Windows Server 64-bit on it. I
kicked it up to 4GB of RAM, and that really helps a lot. You can do fine in
32-bit but you have to stop at 3GB of RAM if you go that way. Also, make
sure that you install the Guest Additions on each VM that you create. (To do
so, on the menu of the VM itself, select Machines, then Install Guest
Additions.) This gives you a bunch of cool features not available otherwise,
such as copy-paste between VMs or the host, ability to expand the VM window
size, etc.)
A.