[dba-Tech] Create System Image using Clonezilla

Heenan, Lambert Lambert.Heenan at chartisinsurance.com
Mon Sep 28 08:09:53 CDT 2009

I use Drive Image XML for the same purpose.

http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

It take about an hour for it to make a compressed image of my 50Gig Windows XP partition, and you can make the image on a live running system (it does shadow copies). Restoration is just as fast, or a bit faster. I do the restoration using a BartPE boot disk.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

As for backing up virtual disk images. I can only speak about virtual box. The manual expressly says not to use a simple copy process, and the system has a cloning process that should be used instead. Something to do with identifying the image volume correctly if I recall.

Lambert