[dba-Tech] [dba-VB] Anyone need a little storage?

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 6 17:26:04 CDT 2010

I was discussing the costs of electricity with locals here and it does seem
to be a major factor... In that regards people are terribly spoiled on the
North West coast of North America where there are many huge hydro-electric
dams and the power costs, in comparison, are very cheap.

That one consideration is why Google, Amazon and Microsoft and a host of
other software companies are located close by. (Even Disney studios, Pixar
Arts, Electronic Arts, Sony Play Station...etc. are all moving their
animation studios here.)...cheap electricity. It may be even a good idea to
host your own clients here where the on going costs will not make scalable
space and computing power prohibitive. Most everything can be run remotely
and you would be as close as the nearest fat-pipe.

On the subject of software development there are some further
considerations. It would be easier to just use one piece of software to do
it all but there is definitely an advantage to be using Open Sources as you
can even have the source code as backup.

There are a lot of excellent OS products out there and when you settle on a
product then you can make your financial contribution. That takes all the
risk out of purchasing a piece of software, just to find out that it just
does not live up to its billing or you find out there is some feature that
you absolutely need to have to complete a project.