[dba-Tech] [dba-OT] Need to break into a laptop

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:33:40 CDT 2010

I wouldn't get my hopes up there man. One of the utilities others have
mentioned should get you in there unless the thing is actually
encrypted or something. I'd spend time digging through the paperwork
first. Should be income tax papers around someplace. Start there. If
someone were to look at ANY of my computers - or ALL of them for that
matter they would get very little information. I actually do have some
passwords listed within Outlook - which I haven't actually used for 3
or 4 YEARS on my home systems..... I now use only the web browser
interface to my e-mail accounts. So that password info is sorely out
of date. I do have a list of all of them but I'm not saying where it
is ;-) It's not on any of MY OWN computers. I do have my tax return
info on my main system and some prior year stuff on my previous main
system. But there are hard copies of all that in a drawer someplace
too that would be far easier to dig out I think.

Can you try to contact the credit monitoring companies to get a list
of bank accounts etc?  Perhaps the police can assist with this?  Or a
lawyer?

GK

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:00 PM, rockysmolin at bchacc.com