[dba-Tech] Is there a place for Linux Distros in your home and business

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Thu Apr 15 07:41:07 CDT 2010

To start with I am a user of Windows, extensively, but I also use Linux
daily. I have been in the computer business, one way of the other for over
40 years and know a time before Microsoft and even before PCs.

We all use Linux every day whether we know it or not as most major ISPs and
web sites are Linux based. Many of our electronics systems are Linux based
from our TVs to Dish washers... it is just there and works as reliably as
the base electronics. Any of us MAC users are really using an OS with a
Linux/Unix core with a fancy GUI.

Microsoft has entrenched its self on to the desktop and will be the master
of this region for many years to come but once off the desktop it is a Linux
world out there filled with an ever growing host of services...mostly Linux
based.

The only weak spot in the Linux pervasiveness is in the medium-high-end
graphics world but that area is firmly controlled by Adobe and not MS. As
soon as you move into the high end animation and graphics systems you are
back into the Linux world.

Below is a link to an interesting article on a take of how the Linux world
is slowly surrounding the desktop island of Microsoft. The comments after
the post are equally as interesting.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-20002478-62.html